Friday, September 21, 2012

Dredd - Movie Review


Well, I was able to finally watch the not so famous Dredd movie.  I can tell you right now, it has a merit of its own.  And you may try to compare this to the Stallone - Judge Dredd movie, but you will be a bit disappointed with this one, if you do that.

When watching this Dredd movie, I keep thinking if this was created during the 80's.  I mean the color reminds me of old 80's movies, and the cars are not that futuristic.  You will be more inspired with the old Judge Dredd movie than this one.  This version has more gore and violence than the Stallone version.  Also, I think the one shown in Philippines has more cuts in the gory parts.

The movie, will remind you, that it will look great if you watch it in 3D.  There are lot's of scenes, where it really looks good in 2D, what more if you were watching it in 3D?

There are elements to this movie that makes this a good story, I say "good" but not great.  There are times, the movie felt dragging, like 70% of the movie.  But there are some quite good scenes, that I think is memorable for this movie.

I know people are reminded of the Indonesian film, "The Raid" when watching this, since, it's almost the same story.  Law enforcement, enter a building, they are attacked by a drug lord, and tenants or people inside try to kill them.

I think this movie, only shows a day in Judge Dredd's life.  There is no grand scale plot that affects their judging system, only the everyday goings in Judge Dredd's life.

How I miss, Stallone's version of "I am the Law!".  I don't recommend this film, unless you're a Judge Dredd fan, or watched the first Stallone version and want to compare.  Otherwise, you will be sleeping inside the theater or thinking of leaving and do something else.

It's a two (2) and a half stars out of five (5) for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advertisement